Monday, February 16, 2009

A Loved One is a Loved One


Believe it or not, I spend a lot of time trying not to offend people. It just so happens that life presents ample opportunity for me to do so through negligence. For example, whenever I create the Christmas newsletter I am filled with dread as to whom I have left out. (It's only four pages people!). I'd be surprised if I've never upset anyone via exclusion.

That being said, when I wrote about loving each other and how that could help cure the automatic reactions we have toward others, I talked only about people. And I have been slapped in the face by my ignorance today (and it won't be the last time, I'm sure).

Today I found out that both Aunt Maureen's cat Daphne, and Pete and Ali's cat Willie Randolph died. The closest I've ever come to experiencing what they are was when a cat we took in, Frank the Tank, was hit by a train. Seriously, a train. How's that's even possible, I still don't know. We only knew him for two weeks, so honestly I don't know what it feels like to lose a pet that is loved. I KNOW how Aunt Maureen felt about Daphne, and she truly lost a loved one. And as far as I know, my brother and soon to be sister is pretty upset about the early demise of his one-time Mets' manager turned housecat. If you would like to offer words of condolence to either or both (surely more poetic than these), please do so by commenting at the end of this article. They'll be able to see, just so you know (that is for those of you who still hold remote controls with two hands and try to bury your finger with every press of a button [yes, you Mom]).

Congratulations, Kitty Heaven. You just got better today.

P.S. Click on the title to read an interesting article from a cat lover. He's not as good a writer as me, but what can you do. (If you don't understand this is a joke, know now that if it ever seems like ego, it IS a joke).

2 comments:

  1. I just lost my dog Buster. Toughest thing I've ever done. I watched him suffer and had to make the decision whether to put him down or let him live like a vegetable. I never cried more than those 3 days while they ran tests. I'
    m hoping it's not so hard next time but I doubt it.
    You really grow to love your pets. You don't realize it 'til you lose them, then you wished you did more for them in the end.
    The best we can do is say we gave our pets a great life and know you loved 'em.

    josiah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss Daphne terribly but I now have Mattie (the Cattie).....like the name Matt? My grandson, Matt, really likes it. She had a family who moved and left her to fend on her own. A neighbor with animals saw her but couldn't catch her. She had a litter of kittens who disappeared and were presumed taken by coyotes or fisher cats. Then shortly after that she had another litter and brought them to the neighbor's back door. He got in touch with Guardian Angels Cat Rescue and after a series of events too lengthy to get into she arrived at a foster home where I found her last Thursday. She came home last Friday and is getting more comfortable every day. I have to remember not to have expectations after four days that she be like my beloved Daphne after 14 years.

    I am really touched that you wrote this on your blog. It means a lot to me.

    Aunt Maureen

    ReplyDelete